Adding m17n to 3.7/4.0 (was Re: About 3.7)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Dec 9 05:45:04 UTC 2003

On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 03:28 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>>   Doug,
>>
>>   I would prefer option #1.  Probably more people will test it
>> earlier, and if they don't like it so much, we can back it out and
>> pretend nothing had happened before the major version up
>>
>>   As I wrote, I'd try to work on this around the new year time.
>>
>> -- Yoshiki
>
> I think this sounds like a great plan. So... go for it! :) And it will
> be really good to get m17n into the mainstream.

Yep, that sounds good to me.  So, Yoshiki and I will work out what time
would be good for him to update the m17n code to the latest 3.7alpha.
Then, he can have a week or so to update it, and we won't include any
more updates in the stream until m17n is added.

Also, we'll want to figure out how much of the m17n .sar file we want
to include... for example, do we want to include the 3MB of japanese
fonts?  As long as the support is there, perhaps it's okay to not
include the fonts themselves?  Then there are other fonts, although
they're quite a bit smaller.

- Doug