Squeak as a normal user...

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 9 16:51:52 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 6:38 am, mayureshkathe at softhome.net wrote:
> Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> > Permissions need to be changed. Whatever package or installed you used
> > [snip]
> > everyone.  If that is gibberish to you, I reccomend you have a look at
> > Windows.
>
> I installed from source...
> I tried changing the permissions, gave it a ugo+x but it still won't
> execute, just says file not found, its insane...

Try running 'ldd' on it to make sure that the default dynamic libraries can be
found.

Also, have you made sure that the plugins are in the same directory? Depending
on how your VM is built, you probably have the vm-* files that are required.
They should be in the same directory as the squeak executable.

Also, the best thing to do in a case like this is to run strace:

strace -o squeak.out -e trace=file /usr/local/bin/squeak

then look at squeak.out to see what files it couldn't open.