[BUG][FIX] StarBrowser package incompatible with SM2

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Dec 9 16:51:08 UTC 2003

Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> The other issue was KomServices referencing installedVersionOf:, which
> has been renamed to installedReleaseOf:. This seems easy enough - you
> could provide the old message, probably using the new deprecation
> mechanism. I think an extra warning popup during installation is fine
> and would encourage packages to get upgraded.

That one was simply a mistake. Sure, we can even keep the old message.

> With these two tweaks I was able to install SB, KomHttpServer and the
> packages that depend on them - HttpView2, Seaside, SmallWiki etc. in a
> 3.7+SM2 image.
>
> Thinking ahead to future SM upgrades, it would be nice to be able to
> keep evolving SM without breaking packages unnecessarily. Do packages
> have too much knowledge about SM right now ? Or another way of saying
> it, the protocol/interface they rely on isn't clear/stable enough ?

No, I don't think packages have too much knowledge. The interface got
totally *changed* between SM1 and SM2, so... no, it wasn't "stable". :-)
I mean, I can't add releases to the model and not change any interfaces,
can I?

SM1 was purposefully not a complete super duper solution. SM2 is a bit
further down the path - but there is still quite a lot more coming.

But I don't think the things that have settled will change much from now
on.

regards, Göran