Monticello: removing a repository?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Dec 9 23:01:26 UTC 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 1:58 PM, Martin Kuball wrote:

> So If I want a common repository for different images they have to be
> in a
> common directory or I have to midify the moticello code?

No.

First of all there are two separate issues here - one is where the
cache repository is located (which is a special repository that is
always there, and which will store a copy of any package that you ever
open, as an optimization).  This is, by default, in the package-cache
directory relative to your image, although you can easily change this
with "MCCacheRepository default directory: (FileDirectory on: ...))".

The second issue is sharing a repository between images.  You can have
as many repositories as you want active for a package, and they can be
shared among as many images as you want.  These can be
DirectoryRepositories (using your filesystem), HTTPRepositories,
FTPRepositories, etc.  Just add the same repository to all your images
and it doesn't matter where they are located.

Now, if all the images that need access to a package happen to be in
the same directory of the same machine, you may want to use the
package-cache as your shared repository, and not add any others.  But
you certainly don't *have* to do it that way.

Avi