[Poll] Squeak and Most Used Desktop Apps

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Dec 10 18:34:58 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 1969 21:00, Russell Allen wrote:
> As I was musing on this, I thought I would make a list of the
> programs I use on my mac, and put next to them the appropriate Squeak
> equivalent.  For the moment I'm deliberately ignoring Squeak's most
> powerful features - the development environment (ClassBrowsers,
> ObjectBrowsers etc) and eToys - and just focussing on the normal(ish)
> desktop stuff.

As your wrote in the part I deleted, Scamper and Safari might have the
same function but aren't at the same level of usability. Perhaps adding
a score would make the list more interesting.

Sometimes a direct one to one comparison won't show us where the real
opportunities for Squeak lie. For example, a direct Excel replacement
wouldn't be nearly as interesting as something very simple that could
also replace the SuperCalculator and MathCAD.

-- Jecel