[ENH] Add userid and password to HTTP firewall authentication (superceded by what?)

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 18:35:49 UTC 2003

David,

I use your changeset for userid/passwd for authenticated proxy servers.  It works great!  I just wanted to point out that there is a conflict with Monticello.  Monticello also has several methods defined in HTTPSocket class, that look like they support userid/passwd.  They are:

HTTPSocket class>>#httpGet: url user: user passwd: passwd
HTTPSocket class>>#httpGetDocument: url args: args accept: mimeType request: requestString

The second method conflicts with your changeset.  The method #httpGet:user:passwd: is called from the MCHttpRepository class.  In digging a bit further, it looks like MCHttpRepository uses the string 'Authorization: Basic <userid:passwd>' for authenticating to password protected web servers.  Your changeset for password protected proxy servers uses the string 'Proxy-Authorization: Basic <userid:passwd>'.  They don't seem to be interchangable from my quick tests.

fyi,
Rob

David Faught <dave_faught at yahoo.com> wrote:
My life on the mushroom farm is busy and going well. I occasionally
risk a look around my environment and I'm curious what this was
superceded by.

If it was this: