SqueakPeople rewrite and grand plans

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Thu Dec 11 22:07:56 UTC 2003

ducasse  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>I will let lukas reply as he is the guy having the vision and mainly
>implemented everything.

Why? I'm not questioning the design decisions underlying SmallWiki (au
contraire, I think they are very sound), I'm questioning your bringing
it up as a better candidate then Seaside, HV, and whatnot :-).

>When we say well designed this means for example having a good parser
>and not something hacked by hand in the dark.

And I like that a lot. I do hope to steal a lot more work from SmallWiki
than just the parser (as I already did ;-)).

>(Note that after discussing
>with  alan knight this is not sure that seaside can support heavy load.
>But I'm not expert.)

I'm an expert on heavy loads. The answer is in 99% of the cases a
loadbalancer and more hardware. And hardware is extremely dirt cheap -
a 19" 1 unit high pizza box has a pricetag of around 2 days worth of
developer time and you amortize it over 36 months...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,