[BUG][ENH] Add userid and password to HTTP firewall authentication (conflict with Monticello?)

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Dec 12 18:54:51 UTC 2003

David Faught wrote:
> In any case, yes these really are two different and unique
> userid/password combinations for two different servers and they have
> to be handled separately but in parallel, that is they both have to be
> used at the same time.  I believe that they could both appear in the
> same HTTP GET, as they do refer to different servers that are both
> used for a single query.  I'm not sure that there is actually a
> conflict here, but these two different userid/password combinations do
> have to coexist, which they probably don't right now.
>
> A bit more study is required!

This of course is the problem with having too many class-side methods.
Your method would probably be better called #httpGet:proxyUser:password:
  but then what if someone wants a proxy password and a server password?
  If we created a request instance, called #user:password: and
#proxyUser:password: on it, and then sent the request, this would work
out a lot better.  There could still be class-side shortcuts for the
very common cases of course...

Julian