[BUG][FIX] MVC: ChangeSorter: promoteToTop does not refresh view

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sat Dec 13 16:02:14 UTC 2003

This bug report is for Squeak 3.7 alfa # 5607

Description of the feature as is works in a Morphic
environment:

Open a change sorter (simple or dual, it does not
matter).
Select a change set that is not the top most item
in the list.
In the view that shows the names of the change sets
(where you made your selection), bring up the menu,
select 'more...' and then 'promote to top of  list'

The name of the selected change set is moved
to the top of the list, where it is displayed
selected. The contents of all other views remain
unchanged.

In MVC, the view is not refreshed. It helps to
move or to resize the top view.

The feature 'promote to top of list' was new
in Squeak 2.8 and did not work in MVC
There is reason to believe that it never worked in MVC.
(Shame over my head that I saw this bug only now, 3 years
after the publication of Squeak 2.8 !)

Promotion is done on the class side of ChangeSorter,
but the refresh of the view is only programmed for a
morphic environment and in a quite uncommen manner:
As the dependence machanism of a model is not available
on the class side, a wakeUp mechanism is used that is
not available in MVC. I added the notification of change
that is needed for MVC in the instance method
promoteToTopChangeSet.

This solution is of course open to discussion.

Gretings,
Boris