running out of memory?

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sun Dec 14 16:36:39 UTC 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 12:37 am, Ralph Boland wrote:
> I am constructing finite state machines from regular expressions
> and some of the FSMs are large as in 10,000 to 20,000 states,
> when the FSMs get this large I run into severe performance problems.
> For example the debugger is almost impossible to use since it is
> so slow.

This may be because the variable inspector panes are trying to print out huge
amounts of information. If you've written a printString that can answer
really long strings this may be the case (the max for the printout of an
Array, for instance, is 110 items, or 5000 characters, whichever is shorter).

Also if you're using big blocks this could slow down the debugger since it now
will print out the decompilation of the blocks.