things lacking in Squeak

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 16 16:42:30 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 2:13 am, jmzajac2002 wrote:
> In fact, things lacking daily in my Squeak
> 1) FileList : the ability to open, import gif, JPG files from a ftp server.
> A recent update
 has increased the performance of FileList, why not in the
> pictures reading.
> 2) the ability to read RTF files. The use of TEXT files is not very
> convenient.

> Is it possible to gain on these points ?

Sure. For the first, we just have to convert to using streams like I did for
the FileContentsBrowser class>>serviceBrowseCode and others in CS 5447.

This is quite easy to do. I've attached a change set that uses streams for a
number of services, though the "open image in window" one doesn't yet work on
remote files (I think the FTP client is not in binary mode). Want to fix it?
Unfortunately, I don't have time to work on it.

For the second, someone has to write an RTF reader. Which would require that:
   * the format be documented somewhere (being a Microsoft format, I'm not
sure that it is), and
   * someone needs to write a parser for it that converts to Text (or into a
BookMorph or whatever).

This is not so easy to do.