things lacking in Squeak (RTF reader and writer)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 17 05:48:17 UTC 2003

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> So does Squeak.  ParagraphEditor provides
>     - font selection
>     - style selection
>     - font size
>     - colour
Drifting off topic very slightly - one thing paragraph editor doesn't
do very well is handle largish amounts of text. I strongly suspect that
this is because the primary activity of typing in the middle of a text
causes a great deal of
+copy the original text up to the caret to a new string
+add in the new text just typed/pasted
+copy the rest of the original
and maybe worse (the naive code would probably use several cat
messages). Way back when we put the idea of split-texts into VW to
combat this. This explicitly understands the idea of a conceptual
single text being composed of up to three actual texts (the
before-caret, new stuff and post caret) with merging done at opportune
spare moments.

Possibly a good project for someone with a bit of time and an urge to
improve text handling.

tim
Strange OpCodes: KFP: Kindle Fire in Printer