About test presence

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Dec 17 19:04:58 UTC 2003

Hi SUnit infected and others,

Warning. I would like to have your short and precise point of view on
the following points. I kept this email as short
as I can. Please avoid to reply with wonderful ideas that nobody has
the time nor the energy to develop
or that is not proven to be useful.

Context.
I think that not showing the tests close to the classes they cover is a
mistake. I already
discussed with marcus and we agreed. Basically this is not efficient
because: the tests are not present
so people cannot use them as documentation, cannot learn how to write
tests, cannot feel the need
to write tests. I get this feeling more and more so I decided to bring
the issue and I need your feedback.

Idea.
I would like to have the tests closely related with the class it
covers. I would like to have the **simplest
solution** first and see how we can improve it and enforce some
conventions such as the naming of the class and
the category. I would like to have the minimal modification to the
environment (because I know that someone
has to code it) Basically I would like to have a category (because for
some cases we may need to have other objects
and classes created. The idea is not to restrict to Unit tests) with
the name of the class category and -Test and the
name for the class name XXTest

Integer in Kernel
would have its tests if any in IntegerTest in Kernel-Test.

I would like to add in the image the corresponding tests that marcus
collected and produce a removal script (which is trivial).
Before doing that I would like to know your point of view.

In a second step, I would like to see if and how what romain robbes did
with the Unit Browser can be used (I would
remove the Lint box from the browser for example).

Stef