rich text in Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:39:28 UTC 2003

Laurence.Rozier at knowledgearchitects.net wrote:
> That is your view, hopefully you'll leave room for others who have different views. My view
> and that of many people who use computers is that transparent handling of richly formatted
> text should be a given. Like most people I don't really care if it's RTF, PDF or some format you
> or anyone else invents and is able to convince a significant portion of the world to support. The
> text formatting support currently in Squeak is not adequate for most people who use computers.
> We(you and I and others) could change that. Let's find a solution.

Actually Squeak does have "transparent handling of richly formatted
text".

Before talking about this, let me reiterate Bijan's statement: please be
careful of your tone.  First, Squeak is *not* about cloning MS Windows.
It is more accurate to say that Squeak is about making a *better*
operating system than what is out there.  If your interests are in a
free OS on *par* with current OS's, then go check out Gnome and/or KDE
-- they are doing quite well along these lines.

Second, Squeak is open source.  Discussion is welcome, but it is all
*suggestions*.  It is extremely rude to tell someone else what they
should volunteer to do.  Do it yourself, if you truly think something is
imperative.

That aside, here are some things to consider regarding your goal of
seeing better rich text in Squeak:

	1. RTF cannot be imported in general from outside sources, despite some
people's expectations.  That defeats the main way that RTF support would
be useful in Squeak.  We've already gotten a taste of this situation
with trying to support HTML.

	2. Squeak could emit RTF, and it shouldn't take much coding.  This has
some limited use, I guess, but for how long are Squeak users going to be
happy writing just rich text within Squeak?  How long until they make a
hyperlink or embed a morph?  Is RTF output even worth the clutter of
adding one more menu item somewhere?  IMHO, for output, it would be more
helpful to focus on the PS emitter.  That thing produces truly lovely
output when except when it does things that are stunningly horrible.  :)

	3.Oh yes, Squeak does support rich text.  Some people may not realize
this.

	4. Squeak has formats of its own for interchange of Squeak data.  The
usual granularities are morphs and projects and entire images, not
individual blobs of text.  Check out the red halo on morphs and the
world menu in a morphic project.

Lex