[Q] Celeste on Windows 2000

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Dec 18 10:01:47 UTC 2003

Hi!

"Norberto Manzanos" <nmanzanos at caicyt.gov.ar> wrote:
> Hi
> I upgraded my OS from Win98 to 2000 and Celeste could not resolve the =
> pop server name anymore.

Seems strange. Celeste just relies on the same resolving code as the
rest of Squeak.

> I don't know anything about Celeste implementation, I just used it.
> Did anybody know if there is a problem  with this SO?

Don't think so. But grabbing the latest Win32 VM is always good. :)

> Do Celeste have some special feature (port, something) that can be =
> filtered by a firewall?

The resolving part is done by NetNameResolver and in a 3.6 image the
code used is something like this:

	NetNameResolver addressForName: 'your.machine.com' timeout: 20.

Try it in a workspace. The networking code changed a lot in 3.6 so in my
old 3.2 image (that I use with Celeste) the line goes like:

	NetNameResolver addressForName: 'your.machine.com'

And if you look inside (try debug it and step through) you will see that
the DNS lookups are done through primitives in the SocketPlugin. So if
there is a problem I would make sure you have a good VM.

regards, Göran