macroman versus unicode versus m17n support

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Dec 18 19:53:07 UTC 2003

jean-marie.zajac at laposte.net was kind enough to point out to me that
typing in the CSA canadian french keyboard is
broken in 3.7.0bx. After some investigating I determined that this
issue is a result of the changes made by
Tetsuya HAYASHI <tetha at st.rim.or.jp> for multiple unicode extraction
for m17n support.

In reviewing the changes I see that
before we would generate
EventKeyDown
charCode = 224
EventKeyChar
charCode = 136
EventKeyUp
charCode = 224

however after the change we generate

EventKeyDown
charCode = 224
EventKeyChar
charCode = 224
EventKeyUp
charCode = 224

where EventKeychar was the MacRoman value, and EventKeyUp/Down is the
unicode, lost in the
change was the proper EventKeyChar mapping to MacRoman.

Also for multiple character input we generate
EventKeyDown,EventKeyChar,EventKeyChar ... {repeats}, EventKeyUp

which I believe is technically wrong

Therefore I'm considering changing the  logic to generate
EventKeyDown,EventKeyChar,EventKeyUp {repeats}
and to send up the Unicode for EventKeyDown/EventKeyUp
and to send up the MacRoman translated value from the Unicode for
EventKeyChar

Mind I don't know how or if this will break the M17n support.
So I'll welcome comment.

For conversion reference see

http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/demos/macroman.html

===