macroman versus unicode versus m17n support

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Mon Dec 22 09:23:16 UTC 2003

Am Montag, 22. Dezember 2003 06:14 schrieb Lex Spoon:
> How about using the XWindows encodings, instead?  The X guys have put a
> ton of effort into designing a platform-independent encoding of keyboard
> keys, and so we would be get a big boost from reusing this.

Just yesterday I had a look at how keypress/-release events work in squeak and
X11. And I think squeak would benefit a great deal using a similar concept
like keysyms instead of mac roman encoding. This would dispel the confusion
about keys and characters and lay the ground for global customizable keymaps.
Then it would be just a matter of changing/loading a table in squeak to
reassign Metakeys instead of changing code.
I haven't looked at how things work for a windows or mac vm. But even if they
get "cooked" key values (characters) from the OS, a mapping to some kind of
keysyms inside the vm should be possible.

Alex
--
Wenn man kranke Kühe isst, kriegt man ISDN. -- Schulaufsatz