macroman versus unicode versus m17n support

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Dec 22 11:32:08 UTC 2003

Hi Lex,

> Also, Andreas seems (tentatively) happy with the XWindows encoding.  And
> since obviously the Unix port can easily support XWindows encoding, that
> would mean XWindows is convenient at least for the big three platforms.

Tentatively, yes. But when I spent some time to make this happen it turned
out to be significantly more effort than I thought it would. Some of the
mappings are not unique and some of the keyboards don't really provide what
(I think) they should. Having been into this issue various times now it
seems that while it may be nice to provide a homogenous view for the Squeak
side it seems easier to achieve this by merely passing up the "raw" codes
and process them inside the image using a table that maps from the raw codes
to whatever we decide to use inside the image.

Cheers,
  - Andreas