Squeak on zSeries Linux?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Dec 24 06:47:51 UTC 2003

There is an emulator for the ibm instruction set(s) which runs os-360
thru to the zSeries. written in C, even compiles and runs
on os-x. With that you could boot which ever operating system you could
get your hands on and see how Squeak ports, without
worrying about details about actually having to get the real hardware...

http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

If I recall you can either boot linux on the box, or run linux under VM
(http://www.vm.ibm.com/) which was designed to host guest operating
systems.

On Dec 23, 2003, at 5:10 PM, John wrote:

> On the old ibm mainframes? That would be interesting... I always
> wondered how linux would run on one of those things. What do they do,
> run linux as a guest OS under VM?
>

> --- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, Cees de Groot <cg at t...> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As the first generation of our ISP server farm nears full
> depreciation,
>> we're thinking about alternative methods to get access to the
>> computing/storage power we need. One obvious candidate would be
> IBM's
>> on-demand service (obvious for us because we usually buy IBM kit).
>>
>> Has anyone ported Squeak to zSeries? If not - I think it should be a
>> matter of simply recompiling; is there any reason to think
> otherwise?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Cees

===