Newbie: X-platform question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 27 22:50:27 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:27:42PM +0000, Tony Balazs wrote:

> Looks as though I should avoid the use of proprietary file formats then, at least for
> now, as I'm rather new to all this.  Perhaps if I need them later on I will be able to
> open my Squeak image in another Smalltalk and take it from there (or does that not
> work?).

You will not be able to open your Squeak image in another Smalltalk, but don't worry
about that. All you need is the virtual machine (for example, the squeak.exe program
on Windows) for whatever computer you want to use, and you're in business. So yes,
just steer clear of the proprietary external file formats, and you should be fine.

> Returning to Excel, if I needed only for my application to keep track of where certain
> spreadsheets were on the computer, and not to manipulate them or even open file streams
> on them, the headaches would be much less, presumably.

Yes, that's exactly right. Be sure to read Tim's other reply about being careful
with platform-specific directory names, but other than that you should have no
trouble at all.

Dave

p.s. If you can instruct your mail program to use ordinary text for message that you
post this this list, that will be better. Some of us on the list (like me) use mail
readers that are not smart enough to read the formatted messages. Also, I pretty much
assume that html mail is probably spam, and I delete it without looking to carefully ;-)