rich text in Squeak

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 31 18:39:55 UTC 2003

"Peter Crowther" <peter at ozzard.org> wrote:

> > From: [...] Darius
> > Could Open Office provide the ideal, standard, multi-lingual,
> > multi-platform rich text format for Squeak?
>
> Well, I don't have it installed on my iPAQ, and I rather doubt Tim has it
> installed on his Acorn.
True, though oddly enough the ol'acorn can handle quite a few niche
formats of this sort. The folks at Acorn took a very different approach
to Apple; they concluded (correctly) that they were going to have to
live in a heterogenous world and so made their system friendly to
almost all others. Apple took the view that only their stuff was 'real'
and made it very difficult to work with other platforms. I suppose that
has improved a bit with OSX recently.

I'd say it is an interesting lesson to us; _if_ we want to be able to
work with other systems _then_ we need to creat importer and exporter
capabilities. Of course, that may not be what we want in life. YMMV.

tim
Strange OpCodes: JUM: Jeer at User's Mistake