Blocks from strings

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Dec 31 21:12:27 UTC 2003

On Dec 31, 2003, at 1:05 PM, Brian T Rice wrote:

> I should add that this suppose /can/ be added to Squeak relatively
> easily,
> at least *in principle*. The changes consist of:
>
> (1) Extending the Scanner and Parser to allow the ` prefix to message
> selectors to cause the parser to apply the message to the resultint
> parse
> nodes for the arguments.

<snip>

Although I'm very interested in macros and how or why they might be
integrated with Smalltalk, I've lost the thread of how this relates
back to the original posting.  Nevin, can you tell us what you were
actually trying to do by converting strings into blocks, so that I can
try to understand if macros would help?

Avi