UUID problems

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Sun Feb 2 06:05:22 UTC 2003

Julian Fitzell wrote:
> So I started building myself a new Seaside deployment image only to find
> it didn't work.
>
> I had update my image to 3.4gamma and run an .st file that we always run
> to clean up the image and set a few prefs, etc.  After an embaressingly
> long time (some of Seaside's low level games seemed to be preventing my
> from getting errors) I discovered the problem was with getting a new UUID.
>
> So the reason for the problem is that Smalltalk>>discardSoundAndSpeech
> discards DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>randomBitsFromSoundInput: which is
> now needed on Windows to generate a UUID as far as I understand it.
>
> So can that method be left and the rest of the sound stuff discarded? Or
> do I need to keep all the sound stuff in my image just to get a UUID?
>
> Secondly, I was trying another image which had gone through the same .st
> cleanup script which worked fine on linux and OSX (the image upgrade and
> cleanup script were done on OSX).  And when I do "UUID new" in that
> image (running on Windows) I get a dialog saying "#dev#random does not
> exist" and asking me to choose another name or cancel.
>
> So why is the behaviour different depending on whether I upgraded the
> image and removed the code on OSX or on windows?  Doesn't make for very
> portable images...
>
> Anyone know anything about this?

Replying to my own post, digging some more I found out that the UUID
generation is supposed to fall back on some other method if the sound
system isn't available... but this doesn't seem to be happening.

UUIDGenerator>>makeSeedFromSound uses #ifCurtailed: but for whatever
reason that doesn't seem to be working.  Changing it to "on: Exception
do: ..." makes it work for me, but I remember some discussion on the
list a while ago about using #ifCurtailed: being the correct way to do
things.  What am I missing?  Why doesn't this work?

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)