Closures

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Feb 3 21:22:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Niko Schwarz wrote:

> Am Montag, 3. Februar 2003 18:28 schrieb Brian T Rice:
>
> > It's very good for you to admire this idea, but Self never implemented
> > anything like it. The VM and the optimized code is/was separate from the
> > image, and was a big source of problems that way.
>
> Are you sure that's true for the current version?
> I can't get to run it for some mysterious error message, I'm currently
> reporting to the interest group, but if I understood the tutorial correctly,
> it does not separate.

Don't believe everything you read in a tutorial. ;-) Not even Self's
parser is self-hosting. Well, David Ungar has rumoured that he and another
employee from Sun - I met them both - are working on a self-hosting
bootstrap, which *may* do what you say, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Lisp compilers tend to include binary code within the image, and use an
executable for a starting stub and FFI enabler and such like that, but
not Self or at least a decent number of Smalltalks.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development
mailto:water at tunes.org