Traits prototype image

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Feb 4 17:25:04 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 04 February 2003 05:37 am, Nathanael Schärli wrote:

> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.
>htm
>
> There, you can also read more about our future plans and why there
> is no changeset available yet.

Nathanael, thanks for making this available!

You say on your page:
---
Another reason is that filing in traits requires recompilation of the
whole system. This is because we need to add some instance variables
to ClassDescription and because we need to generate some data to fill
the caches for the incremental reasoning. Unfortunately, the kernel
(resp. the ClassBuilder) of Squeak is broken for at least half of the
(inofficial) versions since Squeak 3.2, and it is also broken for the
latest version of Squeak 3.4 (state January 31). Thus, it would not
be possible to load a traits changeset into such an image even if it
would exist.
---

Can you describe the ClassBuilder bug in such a way that we could fix
it? Or maybe I've missed the bug report...

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com