Traits prototype image

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Tue Feb 4 18:14:30 UTC 2003


Ned,

> I get an explicit Notification that ClassDescription shouldn't be 
> redefined, with the ability to proceed. Which indicates to me that 
> you should be able to trap the Warning.

This is not the problem I mean. The _real_ problem is that after hitting
"proceed" (and waiting for a while :), a real bug appears...

Nathanael

> -----Original Message-----
> From: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org 
> [mailto:squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org] On 
> Behalf Of Ned Konz
> Sent: Dienstag, 4. Februar 2003 19:03
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> Subject: Re: Traits prototype image
> 
> 
> On Tuesday 04 February 2003 09:49 am, Brent Vukmer wrote:
> > Ned --
> >
> > See the following:
> >
> > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-Februar
> >y/051750.html  
> >http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-Februar
> >y/051749.html
> 
> I get an explicit Notification that ClassDescription shouldn't be 
> redefined, with the ability to proceed. Which indicates to me that 
> you should be able to trap the Warning.
> 
> -----
> ClassDescription should not be redefined! 
> Proceed to store over it.
> 
> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the 
> operation.
> -------
> 
> Doesn't look to me like a bug, unless the warning is covering 
> something up.
> 
> This comes from
> ClassBuilder>>name: className inEnvironment: env subclassOf: newSuper
> type: type instanceVariableNames: instVarString classVariableNames: 
> classVarString poolDictionaries: poolString category: category 
> unsafe: unsafe
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Ned Konz [mailto:ned at bike-nomad.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:25 PM
> > To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> > Subject: Re: Traits prototype image
> >
> > On Tuesday 04 February 2003 05:37 am, Nathanael Schärli wrote:
> > > http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototyp
> > >e. htm
> > >
> > > There, you can also read more about our future plans and 
> why there 
> > > is no changeset available yet.
> >
> > Nathanael, thanks for making this available!
> >
> > You say on your page:
> > ---
> > Another reason is that filing in traits requires 
> recompilation of the 
> > whole system. This is because we need to add some instance 
> variables 
> > to ClassDescription and because we need to generate some 
> data to fill 
> > the caches for the incremental reasoning. Unfortunately, the kernel 
> > (resp. the ClassBuilder) of Squeak is broken for at least 
> half of the 
> > (inofficial) versions since Squeak 3.2, and it is also 
> broken for the 
> > latest version of Squeak 3.4 (state January 31). Thus, it 
> would not be 
> > possible to load a traits changeset into such an image even if it 
> > would exist.
> > ---
> >
> > Can you describe the ClassBuilder bug in such a way that we 
> could fix 
> > it? Or maybe I've missed the bug report...
> >
> > Thanks,
> 
> -- 
> Ned Konz
> http://bike-nomad.com
> GPG key ID: BEEA7EFE
> 
> 



More information about the Squeak-dev mailing list