Morphic tutorial

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Wed Feb 5 14:37:28 UTC 2003

Actually, I'm not "one of the greatest programmers that ever wrote a
line of code", but I do like to design languages, and the ones that
have come alive have been made by some of the greatest programmers
that ever wrote a line of code ...

There are a few things that may help. First, the etoy system on
squeakland.org is primarily for children and seems to have enough
documetation for quite a few who have tried it (but not everyone).
Kim Rose and BJ Conn have written a project curriculum book which
should be available in a few months and should help. However, quite a
bit of stuff can be done here in the UI realm, which then can be
augmented by extended programming in Squeak ...

Second, there is a variety of documentation available for Morphic --
but not comprehensive enough for everyone. A good ploy might be to
take apart some existing artifacts to see how they were put together.
You could also try BobsUI to see what it does.

Morphic menus are morphs, so they can just be picked up to move them.

Cheers,

Alan

------