[ANN] Magma 1.0gamma, on SqueakMap

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 04:07:19 UTC 2003

> Related to that - I hit a stumbling block right away on linux when Magma
> tried to prepend a \ to my repository filename.  The problem's somewhere
> in MaFilename, which seems pretty Windows-centric; I cludged it to work
> for now by changing MaFileame>>base to be
>
> base
>   ^ string upTo: $.

Thank you for running on Linux.  That's going to be my next step just as soon
as I can decide on one.  I tried Debian a few weeks ago but couldn't get it to
recognize my NIC.

I am interested in any other platform issues you find.  I already know I need
to account for a common endianness.

> A couple of other first impressions:
>
> - A #commit without a #begin raises a meaningless error (I think it's
> MNU #result).  I'm pretty sure I complained about this way back in the
> first Magma release; yes, it's incorrect to try, but I'd like to be told
> what I'm doing wrong.

Hmm.. I don't remember that complaint.  :-)  Sorry about that.  You're
absolutely right, the error handler there checks for a MagmaUserError or a
MagmaCommitError, but only handled for the commit.  I'll fix that.

> - I didn't get the results I was expecting with #abort.  I tried
>
> session commit: [session root at: 'a' put: 'b'].
> session root at: 'a'.   "b"
> session begin.
> session root at: 'a' put: 'x'.
> session root at: 'a'.  "x"
> session abort.
> session root at: 'a'.  "x, expected b".
>
> Am I missing something?

Actually, yes you are, and it's my fault for not documenting it.  Believe it or
not, it's called
MagmaPreferences>>#refreshPersistentObjectsEvenWhenChangedOnlyByMe.  The
default value is false.  If you set it to true, you'll get the behavior you
desire, but at about a 10%-15% performance penalty based on my observations.
People have different philosophies about what the database should and shouldn't
do to ones own domain model, so it's an option.

Keep 'em coming..  :-)

 - Chris