[ANN] Magma 1.0gamma, on SqueakMap

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 04:35:25 UTC 2003

> Cees wrote:

> I noted that you didn't have any transaction logging yet. Do you have
> any ideas on implementation already? I think it's the most important
> thing missing at the moment - recoverability and 'hot backups' are a
> couple of features any serious database should have :-).

I did do little thinking about it since that question popped up in the FAQ (so
it was you!).  What I really want is for it to be transparent to writing to a
Stream.  I want to have a special FileStream, maybe even with a
mostly-compatible API with StandardFileStream that would transparently take
care of the logging.  I would be able to tell it to #recoverFrom: someLogFile
and it would apply the updates to the last backup.

Heck!  I could even do it using another Magma database if I wanted to!  Build
whatever model of ByteArray's and file positions you need to restore a
FileStream and slap them in a MagmaCollection.  At only a couple hundred
commits/sec, probably not the most efficient route though..

Honestly though, Magma is still so much of an infant that.. we really need to
get a feel first for whether its going to be suitable for being a "serious"
server even when the power *doesn't* go out.  It's a low priority right now,
but money would motivate me to do it sooner  :-).

I will be around to help anyone who wants to try Magma and fixing any bugs that
pop up.  But have a couple projects important to me in my immediate future that
will be consuming my spare time for few months before any big Magma
enhancements.  I've been dying to get to them!  In the meantime, we can
continue to play with the object database.

> I'll try to create some benchmarks on one of
> our servers, lessee whether I can come up with impressive numbers ;-)

Let me know if I can help!

Regards,
  Chris