Squeak usability and ui design

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 7 05:08:26 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:15:41AM +0000, zeppy at australia.edu wrote:
> Is it the squeak philosophy for the user to design the ui, then there would
> be no need to teach the user the ui. They would undertand naturally the
> affordances, visibility and feedback etc.

Well, this is certainly true to an extent.  For example, I have created a
stickytab widget just by embedding a TextMorph into a RectangleMorph,
fiddling with the layout options, and choosing a pleasant gradient fill.
I dropped this into the "supplies" flap, and tear off a new one whenever
I need it.

On the other hand, the behavior of (for example) the halo itself is
certainly not something that the end user could be expected to change.

> Or... is Squeak coming from a different angle whereby affordances,
> visibility and feeback are "old school"?

No, Squeak hasn't supplanted these concepts.

Joshua