Package Loader version filtering (was Re: [BUG]SqueakMap 3.5a problems)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Feb 8 01:03:50 UTC 2003

Replying to my own message...

After thinking about it some more, I think I like my idea about tweaking the
version filtering in the Package Loader (SMLoader).

Specifically, we would change the filtering so that a package listed as being
"Squeak3.4" compatible would show up in the filtered Package Loader if we are
running a 3.5alpha image, as well as a 3.4alpha/beta/gamma/final image.  (Not
3.5beta or any later versions, though.)

This gives us some leeway so that the Package Loader isn't suddenly empty as
it is now with 3.5alpha, which looks like a bug as Ken mentions below.  We're
just postponing the decision for package owners ("is my package really
3.5-compatible?") until Squeak reaches a beta stage, which I think is a better
time to decide.  Sometime during the evolution of 3.5alpha, a package listed
as 3.4-compatible may suddenly stop working.  But this is okay... alpha image
users are basically test pilots, and package compatibility can't really be
guaranteed during an alpha phase anyway.  However, we'd like people using
3.5final to be sure that a 3.5-compatible package really does work there.
(unless the package maintainer is lying ;-) )

This becomes somewhat less important once the image is broken down into
packages, and we get package dependencies going.  But I think this would be a
good tweak to make for now.

Just looking for further feedback on whether this is actually a good idea.

- Doug Way