3.4 event system holding objects?

Bill Schwab schwabw at sprynet.com
Sat Feb 8 07:33:45 UTC 2003

Hello all,

I did a little more digging into that bloated image I mentioned a few
days ago.  First, I verified that I didn't have a large number of
lingering Process-es holding things in the image.  Then I did some
checking with the PointerFinder and it kept leading to events
associated with Wonderland actors (the objects that are most
notably lingering in the image).

Some browsing in 3.4 (the problematic image) and my slightly
older 3.2 image reveals that my 3.4 image includes
Object>>when:evalaute, and that #when:send:to: and friends are
written in terms of it instead of #when:perform: as in 3.2.  I find this
suspicious because #when:evaluate: was removed from Dolphin
quite some time ago, specificially because it was causing
problems with large networks of objects that were immune to the
gc.

Comments?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.