Squeak internationalization

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Feb 8 08:25:37 UTC 2003

  Alberto and everyone,

  At least the vanilla version of Squeak handles most of the
characters in latin-1, you don't need the additional multi-octet
character support.

  Regarding the message substitution, the existing "Vocabulary"
mechanism can be used as the starting point.  However, if you mean the
messages eToys by "strings of morphic ui," you need to add way more
entries to the dictionary and modify the caller site of the menu and
string morph creation methods.

  Again, there is a Japanese version of eToys where kids see
(basically) no English messages.  Take a look at:

http://squeak.hoops.ne.jp/squeak/SqueakNihongo4.zip

-- Yoshiki