Sending email programmatically

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 9 13:46:28 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 February 2003 01:46 pm, Derek Brans wrote:
> > Ah, that's the problem.  I don't have Celeste installed.  Thank
> > you.
>
> Well, there's raw SMTP socket handling as well. You can open an SMTP
> socket and deal directly with the server.

Yes.  You probably don't want to bother with Celeste if you just want to
send an email out.  Look at SMTPSocket and its class methods.  There is
a utility method that does everything for you.

The tricky part is finding an SMTP server to use.  On Unix you can
usually use localhost.  On other OS's you often need to use the SMTP
server your ISP has told you to use.

-Lex