Mythical small kernel images?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Feb 10 13:34:52 UTC 2003

Hi all!

A while ago around OOPSLA 2002 I think there was some talk about two
impressive achievements - one really tiny kernel image by Dan Ingalls
weighing in at a mere 246kb (if my memory serves) and one by Andreas
Raab just a teeny bit larger.

Since I just got a silly challenge from my brother to whip up a small
networking non-UI trivial app I thought it would have been cool to both
use a minimal image and perhaps even go to the length of making a
minimal VM for it. :-) Why? Well, because it could be cool to demo for
all those Java-dudes demanding a ~9Mb JRE download. :-)

Perhaps Andreas or Dan or anyone else who knows anything could give us a
status report?

regards, Göran