[Fwd: Package Loader version filtering (was Re: [BUG]SqueakMap 3.5aproblems)]

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon Feb 10 20:47:32 UTC 2003

Hi Doug. <back on-list>

Yes, well, I've never quite left the list, but I've been preoccupied for
a while now, and I haven't quite resurfaced yet, but a bit... :-)

We've had a very similar when 3.4 was created. Then I resisted having
any of the tweaks that were mentioned, because I felt the added
complexity without solving a problem.

The policy you present in your post does make some sense - people should
review compatibility when things start stabling down, not when a new
version is named. It's not perfect, because it still adds complexity -
less people will understand what is happening - when their packages
appear and when not.

But that's a matter of naming - your solution makes the activities
right. Maybe some changed naming or documentation would make this
clearer.

As far as implementation goes, it might be a little tricky to define
what versions should be considered acceptable. Do I show a version 3.2
package if I'm 3.4alpha? if I'm 4.0alpha?

Again this might require a little more formalizing the concept, or
maintaining a "previous-to" list somewhere (could be in some package,
BTW).

Assuming other people don't object, I'll accept a patch to SMLoader that
deals with all of this.

Daniel