[OT] MRAM, spintronics, the future

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 11 16:29:25 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Earlier today we had a somewhat heated discussion here at Bluefish about
the implications of upcoming MRAM technology. Personally I think MRAM
will turn everything upside down - secondary and primary memory will
turn into one, the border will blur, chaos will reign. Well, perhaps not
that last one. ;-)

Save a document? Start a program? Reboot? A filesystem? ...why? :-) All
programs can be kept running all the time etc. A document can simply
"stay" in memory. Why change representation into a bucket of bits?

And of course Squeak as an OS gets even more interesting. One of the
questions we debated was the necessity of having a filesystem at all. I
argue that they may turn obsolete in their current form. By "filesystem"
I meant more or less a hierarchical namespace of bitchunks mostly only
accessible locally on the host.

IMHO there is only one good reason for having "files" and that is
because all the behaviour in the computer (OS, programs) have been
written in a wide variety of languages and bitchunks are the only
general form of data that "any and all" programs can handle.

It would be interesting what Alan - or anyone else with a mind focused
on the future :-) - has to say about what will happen when MRAM enters
the stage.

And according to an article today these things may come as early as next
year...

regards, Göran