[OT] MRAM, spintronics, the future

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Feb 11 17:21:14 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> IMHO there is only one good reason for having "files" and that is
> because all the behaviour in the computer (OS, programs) have been
> written in a wide variety of languages and bitchunks are the only
> general form of data that "any and all" programs can handle.

There is another one: it was made by programmers ;-)
And maybe accountants...

More seriously: Bill Gates (yes, that one) mentioned in his keynote at
OOPSLA the "universal storage" (I think he called it). I take it as a
given that MS will screw this up, but as a general idea this is probably
what you are thinking of relating to MRAM.
There are systems that tried the more query oriented approach (showing
letters in a calendar so you can access them by date written, Exobox
IIRC), but I don't know of any that really made it to market.

Michael