[OT] MRAM, spintronics, the future

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Tue Feb 11 21:16:19 UTC 2003

> It would be interesting what Alan - or anyone else with a mind focused
> on the future :-) - has to say about what will happen when MRAM enters
> the stage.

I am aware that this is not a refferance to myself, however:

1. It will make "crash" recovery a bitch. When DOS gets foobared on this
machine its only a 20 second reboot away from being normal again. What
happens when some hardware foobar such as a misguided oveclocking
attempt messes everything up and there is no pristine system in
persistant storage to recover from?

2. I have heard a lot of things about "orthoganal persistance". I never
understood the appeal of the concept. HOWEVER, my own operating system
design, The Sphere Operating System is architected in such a way that
the traditional filesystem is completely optional and hence would be
ideal for a "NVRAM" machine. (I desigend Sphere to be a world domination
OS).

Unix style OSes, however, will not be nearly so elegant.

DIE UNIX DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.