A cleaner Morphic for 3.5 (was: Re: Re-doing Morphic ( Was: Re:Traits prototype image ))

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Feb 11 22:21:58 UTC 2003

Todd,

> > I'll give you just one example: If I want to make a button
> > in eToys, here is what I do. I go to the supplies flap, grab
> > a rectangle...
>
> [snip].
>
> Uh huh.  Why don't you grab a button object instead?

Because this was an example and if you want to do anything interesting it's
almost never the case that there is already something prefab'ed. The example
can be extended to any point you want - including business apps. If you
don't know what I mean then check out www.nakedobjects.org (and if you read
the book you will find that eToys are prominently featured in it ... and now
guess why).

> > If I want to make the same button using your "programmer's morphic"
> > here is what I needed to do: Go to the tools flap, open a browser,
> > make a category....
>
> You shouldn't have to do that either.  Something along the lines of
>
> Button new label: 'OK'; color: aColor; pressedColor: 'anotherColor';
> onMouseUpDo: [:sender | receiver okClicked ].

Same thing - or else I could just say "IraqCrisis new solve" in Squeak ;-)
Someone has to make these things first. If it isn't a button, then it's
something else. My point was illustrating the vast advantages of the
techniques employed in eToys both in terms of usability as well as
efficiency. But these advantages don't come out of the blue sky - they need
support on the system level and that's why I am so opposed to this backward
oriented way of doing things. But, *sigh*, if all you know is a hammer...

> > So which way would you rather use yourself?!
>
> Personally I prefer typing to direct manipulation - I also prefer to
> move files using bash

... or a keyboard ;)

> Anyhow, your examples up above just point out that the lack
> of a decent set of ready to go morphs is the real reason why
> bugs get introduced so rapidly.

No - you are *entirely* missing the point. The point was usability and
efficiency. Shown in a simple enough example that one can actually recreate
and measure it. We have plenty of other examples - just check out a few of
the kids projects and see if you can get any faster and more robust by
hacking it in the browser. I doubt it.

Cheers,
  - Andreas