BobsUI 3.0b on SqueakMap, plus future directions

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Feb 12 01:00:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 yampa at mindspring.com wrote:

> >Why are Morphic Wrappers required for BobsUI?
>

> To keep the development and runtime functions seperate.  When BobsUI
> windows run, they act like components written in any other dull
> business app building tool.  You can't do things like bring up a halo
> or an inspector on them.
>
> However, during development, the developer needs halos, menus, and
> other interactive things, like the ability to drag and drop components
> onto windows.  While it looks like the developer is manipulating the
> components, they are components wrapped in their own Morphic Wrappers.
> The halos, menus, and everything else you are using belong to the
> wrapper, not the component.  So when you package a runtime production
> image, only the components, other necessary bobsUI code, and your
> objects, get packaged.  What is in the wrappers isn't needed.

That's fascinating. This is exactly why I use Morph as a dynamic mixin in
my code. There are still some specializations needed, but it works out
beautifully (well, in my logic-test methods). Of course, in my mind,
Morphic without the wrappers isn't really Morphic at all... even Self's
Morphic seems deficient in comparison.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development