Core image (was RE: Mythical small kernel images?)

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Wed Feb 12 00:53:14 UTC 2003

Hi all,

> It may also help to build an image which hosts independent
> Squeak systems/versions, environments ... or build versioned squeak
> modules/components comparable to dll's, java class files, .NET assemblies,
> smalltalk link libraries, ...

yes, it can be used in this way; but I am really more
 interested in future of Object Technology... not in
 technologies of the past.

Breaking an environment in modules is interesting,
 but does not solve the problem of scalability
 of modular (/formal) systems.
 [modules are very good for mature software classes]

I feel that evolution of celular images and proliferation in an
 object medium is a direction not followed yet.
If we only want to do the same of the people that are
 imitanting objects we will return to past. (and they will
 say that are more near to objects [again])

Sometimes I see that we produce fisures in our pretty
 globe of smalltalk to return to water...
Oviously our intentions are noble but the effects are
 that we does not invert effort in developing a real
 (virtual) Object Technology.
We talk about languages and alternate syntax but does not talk about objects
in an environment... and how we develop things that does NOT are objects...

cheers,
Ale.