[Fwd: Package Loader version filtering (was Re: [BUG]SqueakMap 3.5aproblems)]

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Feb 12 05:45:51 UTC 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 03:47 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> We had a very similar issue when 3.4 was created. Then I resisted
> having
> any of the tweaks that were mentioned, because I felt the added
> complexity without solving a problem.
>
> The policy you present in your post does make some sense - people
> should
> review compatibility when things start stabling down, not when a new
> version is named. It's not perfect, because it still adds complexity -
> less people will understand what is happening - when their packages
> appear and when not.
>
> But that's a matter of naming - your solution makes the activities
> right. Maybe some changed naming or documentation would make this
> clearer.

Right, it does add a bit of complexity to the rules, though not a lot,
so it's not a perfect solution.   But I think it does improve the
situation overall by having compatibility reviewed at a better time.

> As far as implementation goes, it might be a little tricky to define
> what versions should be considered acceptable. Do I show a version 3.2
> package if I'm 3.4alpha? if I'm 4.0alpha?

Oof, for some reason I didn't think about this.  Yes, simply
subtracting 0.1 from the version is quite likely to break for some
releases. :-)

A slightly better solution might be to somehow get the ordered list of
versions from SqueakMap, which appear in the correct order.  However,
I guess this is still problematic, since 3.3alpha appears but is not
really the predecessor to 3.4.

> Again this might require a little more formalizing the concept, or
> maintaining a "previous-to" list somewhere (could be in some package,
> BTW).

Yeah, I guess we would probably need something like this.

> Assuming other people don't object, I'll accept a patch to SMLoader
> that
> deals with all of this.

Hm, this task has become just barely large enough (w/having to deal
with the "previous-to" list) that I probably won't have time to work on
it for awhile.  If anyone else would like to implement it in the short
term, that would be great.  (it shouldn't be *that* difficult, actually)

- Doug Way