SqueakLight or SqueakDiet ?( Was: Re: Minimal Image)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Feb 13 12:28:12 UTC 2003

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> 1 Load a fresh image.
>
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.4gamma/Squeak3.4gammaOne.zip seems
> the most recent.
>
> 2 load VHUtilities.st from Goran. I attach a old version what he kinly send
> me.
> >From comment for VHUtilities stripAndSave
>
> "Strip and save image as squeak.image and quits.
>     Before this do:
>     - Save your development image so that nothing is lost.
>     - Clean away stray Processes with Processbrowser
>     - Turn off CPU watcher
>     - Remove all windows from screen.
>     - Destroy all global flaps.
>     - Make sure Undeclared is empty
>     - Make sure Preferences are OK"
> I do the following change. "VHUtilities cleanup.". I don't think you have
> Virtual Home . (Why yo stop thois Goran ?)

Well, it was an ambitious project that sortof ran out of steam. Perhaps
I will pick it up someday again.

[SNIP]
> Its all Goran credits if works and my not enough understand if not.

I simply gobbled together bits and pieces of shrinking scripts found on
the Swiki and messed around a bit with them. Note that VHUtilities
includes other bits and piece methods that are not needed for
stripAndSave.

Perhaps the latest majorShrink is better - I don't know.

> Sure this can improve in a unique script.
>
> I vote for this image are nemed Squeak 3.4Light or Squeak 3.4Diet, until we
> have the marvellous Alejandro Raimondo work for all systems. I have Mac and
> still waiting outside in the cold.

Hehe, why don't you simply register the image you produced on SM? SM can
actually deal with any kind of resource, it doesn't *have* to be a
package.

I am thinking of adding image, VM etc as new "Package types" on SM.
Perhaps.

regards, Göran