Pink Plane vs Blue Plane

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Feb 13 15:21:20 UTC 2003

Hi Richard --

Well, I agree with pretty much everything you've said here -- this is
why I don't complain about lack of adoption of these ideas -- if we
don't document them so that others can use them, then we shouldn't be
surprised at the rise of frustrations such as you describe. This has
been a big problem even with the etoys which we have tried to
document to some extent for http://www.squeakland.org.

I know you do appreciate that our Squeak work at Disney was a
headlong rush of a small group to get a lot of things done and
demoable to our sponsors. So we didn't have extra cycles to do
documentation. Since Disney, we've been scratching along with our
nonprofit Viewpoints Research Institute with a very reduced
sponsorship, and we decided to take on a new research project to
boot, which resulted in Croquet. This does have some documentation
thanks to David A. Smith.

I've been trying to figure out a practical way to capture a lot of
the "here's how you do x" in a form that others can use to make real
documentation.
      I've recently been really inspired by the Japanese response to
the etoys stuff (and to new ideas in general). They have gotten very
enthusiastic about the etoy approach and are starting to put it into
schools in Japan. What they do is to attend talks that we give and
use them as the basis for a really detailed summary of the ideas put
forth. One example that really overwhelmed us is a website, mostly
about the etoys stuff, done by Yamamoto-san (whom we haven't yet met)
that has literally hundreds of webpages of documentation in Japanese
and screen shots showing how to use etoys. This is so good and so
extensive that we are in the process of translating the site to
English in order to get this documentation!

The expansion of etoys has also led to a need for more project ideas
at the Junior High and High School levels. And, as usual, we don't
seem to have the time and energy to sit down and do the writing and
layout that is needed.

So my thought is to try to imitate the Japanese process by doing
demos, capturing them and distributing the rough video and
transcripts on CDR's in the hope that someone who likes to document
and is good at it (like Yamamoto-san) will take the content to a more
usable level. I will start doing that in March and will encourage
other Squeakers to do the same. Maybe this will help.

Now to Geemails. This was one of several nifty projects that Bob
Arning did with us. Ironically, this was a documentation idea --
originally for explaining ideas through Squeak emails (hence the
name).
      The idea is to make a scrolling galley object that can do both
text and "do the right thing" with embedded objects. The usual way I
use it is to have the Geemail object be twice as wide or so as the
interior text object. Then I start writing some explanation (say) to
one of our teachers. As I write my way down the galley, I can put
other objects, including working objects, either in the text (by
dropping) or in the right margin (by dropping). Bob has it set up so
that drops acquire anchors in the text so they will stay where they
should stay even if modifications to the text are made upstream.
      Scott Wallace made an object that is a little etoy world called
"Scripting" (found in the Widgits flap) that is a little namespace
environment so you can show sequences of etoys.
     Bob shows where the page breaks will be if you print, and there
are options in the Geemails menu (above the scroll bar) to force the
galley into columns, etc.)

This didn't get done all the way because of the exit from Disney, but
I still think it's a good idea to have a way to provide multimedia
Squeak explanations via email -- I would be using it now to
demonstrate itself, for example.

I've enclosed this email as a Squeak project showing the Geemail and
also put it on BobsSuperSwiki.

Cheers,

Alan