[ENH] MorphGeometryTweaks-efc

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Fri Feb 14 03:10:35 UTC 2003

tblanchard at mac.com wrote:

> Ever use Interface Builder? Geometry management is generally dead
> simple. You place one component onto another component. The component
> has internal and external struts and/or springs. Pick a strut and that
> dimension stays constant. Pick a spring and it grows when its parent
> grows.

Todd's attempt to create character-graphics that depict the Interface
Builder GUI leaves a lot to be desired (although it's probably about as
good as can be done with character-graphics).

I support Todd by saying that the Geomery management metaphore that the
Interface Builder for NeXT used (and now Apple uses) really is the best
I've ever seen for any GUI builder.

A VisualWorks "goodie" that I often use gives me a second-rate
approximation of it within the VisualWorks canvas tool, but even that is
good enough to classify as the best I've ever seen on VisualWorks (while
the Interface Builder original is even better).

Nevin