[Complete Newbie Response] Re: End-user accessing Squeak"program" from a VT220 terminal?

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Fri Feb 14 18:37:37 UTC 2003

Q: On a Unix box, what is the name of the daemon that handles the
terminals?  Isn't that the 'getty' daemon?  I'll assume it is as I write...

I did some more checking.  Seems that, from the point of view of the
Unix box, the VT220/VT100 terminals for this application are normal
terminals handled by getty (or whatever daemon it is).  Thus, the
end-user initially gets a normal Unix logon prompt.  Then when they log
in, they get a normal csh prompt (because their account as specified in
'/etc/passwd' says to give them a csh prompt).  Then from their csh
prompt, they run their Ingres 4GL program.

OK, I tried a minor variation:  instead of running their Ingres 4GL
program from the csh prompt, I typed 'telnet localhost' (thus connecting
to port 23) from their csh prompt.  Seems they *do* have a telnet server
running, because doing this produced the standard telnet unix logon
dialog.  So I logged on again, and got a (yet-another) csh prompt.  Then
I ran their 4GL program from this second csh prompt, and everything
worked fine.

Hmmm, this gets me thinking.  How about this scenario:

They disable their telnet server, and let Squeak create a normal TCP/IP
connection to port 23 using Commanche to listen to port 23 instead of
port 80.  When Commanche detects a connection request, it of course will
spawn a separate Smalltalk thread to service the request.  In that
thread, I start up a Telnet session (using the Telnet package on
SqueakMap from Ian Piumarta), and pass everything coming into Commanche
over to the Telnet session.  Then anything coming back from the Telnet
session is just replied to the caller over Commanche.

Oh, wait a minute, Commanche will try to package that reply in the usual
http wrappers.  Hmmm, OK, so I can't use Commanche.

Well, there's the  client/server code that Chris Muller posted about 10
days ago (see thread "[ANN] Ma client server").  It looks like it
shouldn't be hard to use it to write a small server that listens to port
23 and shuttles data between that port and Ian's Telnet client code.
 Yea, I think that would do it.  The end-user wouldn't know that Squeak
got inserted in the middle of their data stream (between their terminal
and their existing Ingres 4GL program), and it would then put Squeak in
a position to start "influencing" that data stream.

That's what I am thinking.  But as usual, I welcome any other comments
from other folks.

Thanks,

Nevin