RedHat 8.0 dependency issue with Squeak-vm-3.4-gamma1.i386.RPM

Ted Wright batlist at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 14 21:35:50 UTC 2003

Marcelo Roberto Jimenez wrote:
>Can you tell me exactly how do you generate the rpms (what commands,
>make what? :-) ). I have tryed from the sources
>(Squeak-3.4-gamma1.src.tar.gz), but had no luck so far... I'm trying to
>fix this dependency problem too.

I'm not sure if it is possible to write an RPM spec file that works everywhere.
Besides all the dependency problems, the default C compiler
(gcc 3.2) for Red Hat 8.0 and later generates Squeak-vm code that crashes.
Installing the 'compat-gcc' RPM on Red Hat 8.0 will add the older
compiler that works with Squeak, but requires a slightly different RPM
spec file to specify the old compiler.

The following spec files work for me with Red Hat 7.3 and Red Hat 8.0.
The Red Hat 8.0 spec file also works with the latest Red Hat 8.1 beta
(phoebe2).

instructions:

1. copy the Squeak VM source file to where rpmbuild will find it:
     cp Squeak-3.4-gamma1.src.tar.gz /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
2. build the RPM using the appropriate spec file:
     rpmbuild -ba Squeak-vm-rh80.spec
3. install the new Squeak-vm RPM:
     rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/Squeak-vm-3.4-0.gamma1.i386.rpm
4. install the Squeak image and Squeak-sources RPMs:
     rpm -Uvh Squeak-3.4gamma1-5168.noarch.rpm
     rpm -Uvh Squeak-sources-3-1.noarch.rpm
5. start Squeak:
     inisqueak

It looks like Ian would prefer that you not distribute any binaries you create this way.

-------- Squeak-vm-rh73.spec ------------------------
Name: Squeak-vm
Source: Squeak-3.4-gamma1.src.tar.gz
Copyright: Squeak Software License
Group: Development/Languages
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}
AutoReqProv: no
BuildRequires: XFree86-devel
Requires: XFree86-libs glibc
Provides: %{name} = %{version}

%description
Squeak is a full-featured implementation of the Smalltalk programming
language and environment based on (and largely compatible with) the original
Smalltalk-80 system.

This package contains just the Squeak virtual machine.  You will have
to install it before you install the package Squeak.

%prep
%setup -n Squeak-3.4-gamma1
%build
platforms/unix/config/configure --prefix=%{_prefix}
make
%install
make install ROOT=%{_tmppath}/%{name}
%clean
%files
%{_prefix}

-------- Squeak-vm-rh80.spec ------------------------
Name: Squeak-vm
Source: Squeak-3.4-gamma1.src.tar.gz
Copyright: Squeak Software License
Group: Development/Languages
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}
AutoReqProv: no
BuildRequires: XFree86-devel compat-gcc
Requires: XFree86-libs glibc
Provides: %{name} = %{version}

%description
Squeak is a full-featured implementation of the Smalltalk programming
language and environment based on (and largely compatible with) the original
Smalltalk-80 system.

This package contains just the Squeak virtual machine.  You will have
to install it before you install the package Squeak.

%prep
%setup -n Squeak-3.4-gamma1
%build
CC=gcc296 platforms/unix/config/configure --prefix=%{_prefix}
CC=gcc296 make