[MCP] [Q] Methods not used-Keep Them!

Michael Fremont mike at zorch.com
Fri Feb 14 22:28:37 UTC 2003

The XP point of view *is* to remove them if you don't need them soon,
I agree.  But the XP point of view applies to a closed, controlled
project, not to a programming system that outside people you may have
no contact with also use.

We can't tell that a method isn't being used just because it's not
used in the image.  Let me give an example.  Last year some code in
the image was removed in favor of an updated version that didn't need
the old code.  But there was external code, a goodie, that did.  That
goodie broke when I updated the system.  Since I didn't write the
goodie and was relatively new to Squeak, it took me hours and some
lost hair to understand what happened, to find an old image, and to
add back in the removed code.

I *love* the idea of cleaning up the system, and I laud everyone for
working towards that.  I *love* that the question was asked, 'is
anyone using this?'.  But people not actively reading the list can't
answer the question, and their systems are going to break if we
remove bits.

If an argument can be made that *substantial* improvements can be made
by removing methods, perhaps the cost is worth it.  If the only
benefit is to reduce the number of methods, but not the complexity of
the system, then, my two cents, it's not worth it.

Best,

Mike