Two important issues...

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 15 08:33:14 UTC 2003

Hi

On Saturday, February 15, 2003, at 04:44 AM, Swan, Dean wrote:

> Just to voice my opinion, I agree with Daniel on this.  I feel like I
> want somebody to convince me that Traits is something I need.

But why don't you try the image nathanael provided and read the papers
just the examples.

> I don't really understand Traits too well at this point, but I agree
> with Daniel that it seems to be of greater value for refactoring
> existing code than it is for writing new code.  How is this different
> from AspectS and Perspectives, or mix-ins for that matter?  My cursory
> (and perhaps incorrect) understanding leads me to believe that Traits
> is just another "flavor" of the same kind of thing.

Traits does not have to do anything with aspectS. This is mixin like
model but much more
simpler and scalable. Read the paper this is explained.

> Have there been any costs/benefits analyses done of this kind of
> system?  While I understand that it allows for a higher degree of
> reusability, I'm not convinced (yet) that it's worth the complexity it
> can add to the inheritance graph or the greater potential to break
> more classes faster by changing a highly reused method at the Trait
> level.  I understand subclassing and overriding a method from a
> superclass.  Traits is more complex.

No traits is simpler. We refactored the collection hierarchy and we
gain in code reuse
and in having a conceptually cleaner hierarchy, where we do not need
all these Should not implement.

> Along the same line of thought, I wonder just how much utility can
> really be had from Traits?  Would refactoring the Collection
> hierarchy, for example, with Traits reduce the number of methods? code
> space? increase performance?

Read the paper

> I would hate to see Squeak/Smalltalk gain as much "flexibility" as
> something like C++.  Will Traits make it any easier to do ill-advised
> things (i.e. write bad code)?

But people can use or not traits. And Traits are just groups of methods
that can be combined together.

> Traits strikes me a little like the kind of thing an optimizing
> compiler might do "under-the-hood", but it's not clear that this fine
> grain control is a "Good Thing"tm at the source level.

But at the source level this is ***Exactly the same and normal
smalltalk code***
there is no magic.

> I am not saying that Traits should never be a "CORE" package, but IMO
> it is  FAR to early for it to even be considered for that yet.  It
> would
> be very good to see it used for some "real" code (as opposed to
> examples contrived to highlight the value of Traits) so we can get a
> feel for where the strengths and weaknesses are.

This is what we will test, but if the squeak people wait too much or
are not responsive enough
they may end up not getting it and this will not be our fault.

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/